Saturday, March 31, 2012

Crucifixion and Mockery

"The Hunger Games" came out in theaters last week. My husband has seen the trailer and is put off by the violence. He who enjoys action shows and whose television viewing often subjects me, in the next room, to sounds of seemingly endless terror and screaming, is recommending that we skip this movie because of the violence. I, on the other hand, have read the book and am seriously considering watching the movie, even though I generally avoid shows with violence. The book series is part of a larger discussion and the movie is now part of the discussion.

To watch or skip "The Hunger Games" is a choice. To encounter or avoid the gruesome details of crucifixion may not be a choice this coming week. Holy Week often subjects me to far more detail of death by crucifixion than is necessary for me to appreciate Jesus' sacrifice in going to the cross. I am so put off by the horror of it no room is left to contemplate the significance of it. It's too gruesome and unbearable to get my mind around.

What is often left out of those graphic descriptions of Jesus' death is the mockery that is described with more detail than the crucifixion in the gospels. In a way, that is a blessing. I can identify better with the strong emotions stirred up by mocking and better admire Jesus' strength in having the resources to silence his tormentors and not using those resources.

I have never been physically tortured but I have certainly experienced scorn and disdain. I am familiar with the inner response that would give almost anything to turn the tables on those laughing, particularly when they are completely ignorant of the facts behind what they see. How grateful I am that those who insist on filling in the blanks concerning the crucifixion, assuming horror will endear the crucified Jesus to me, generally look right past the mockery and allow me to take that mental journey on my own.

I'm sure many people discount the mockery as insignificant compared to the horror of being nailed to a cross and left to suffer agony until death provides a final escape from pain. But it's Jesus' ability to let his mockers have the last word that day which makes me say, "Hallelujah! What a Savior!"

No comments: